The Georgian University was solemnly opened on 8th of February, 1918 (old style 26th of January), the day of remembrance of the Georgian King David the Builder. Since that, this day remains one of the most significant events in the history of the nation.
The founders of the Georgian University well understand the importance of introduction Higher Medical Education. The primary initiator of the university foundation, the reverend Professor Ivane Javakhishvili, had been speaking about the reasons of establishment of Medical Faculty “We still need to carry out research on the endemic flora and fauna in our country. Many human diseases have various characters and most are as yet unstudied. Consequently, scientific workers at our University’s Medical and Natural Sciences Faculties have a broad challenge area”.
The first Rector of University Professor Petre Melikishvili was an active supporter of medical faculty creation. On the meeting of “Georgian Physicians and Natural Sciences Society” (12th of October, 1917), he has expressed his opinion about the necessity of opening the medical and natural sciences faculty.
On February 27th, 1918, University Professors Faculty Council confirmed the exigency of creation of Medical Faculty. In June 17th, the same Council of Georgian doctors and Natural Scientists in the presence of the Chairman Spiridon Virsaladze decided to open Mathematics-Natural Sciences and Medical faculty.
In June 10, 1930, Tbilisi State Medical Institute was founded on the basis of the faculty of Medicine of Tbilisi State University (TSU). This has become a powerful stimulus of development Higher Medical Education and Medical Sciences in Georgia.
Tbilisi State Medical University at the foundation consisted of three faculties: Medical- Preventive (including Division of Stomatology), Sanitary- Preventive and Pharmacochemistry.
During the 80 years long history of the University in different periods of time were founded and functioning the following faculties: Paediatrics (since 1931), Stomatology (since 1936), Military Medicine (since 1993), Medical-Biology (since1994), Psychosomatic medicine and Psychotherapy (since1996).
To date Tbilisi State Medical University has five faculties: Medicine, Stomatology, Pharmacy, Public health, Physical medicine and rehabilitation. Tbilisi State Medical University runs four Higher Education Programs: General Practice Nurse, Midwifery, Medical Devices Technician, and Pharmacy Technician.
The analysis of objective, sometimes revolutionary, political and ideological changes in the country and Society that took place in the decades of the 90’s of the last century, revealed that for the achievement of University goals the establishment of larger space is necessary. The newly acquired autonomy would have been merged with new University structure that was the way for transformation of Medical Institute into University and for that the preconditions were already existed. The Author of this objective and well founded request was Tbilisi State Medical University itself.
24th of November 1992 is the historic day for Higher Medical Education in Georgia. The new stage was launched by the transformation of Tbilisi State Medical Institute into Tbilisi State Medical University.
History of Tbilisi State Medical University and higher medical education as well count up to more than 9 decades in Georgia.
Tbilisi State Medical University from the very beginning found itself in the forefront of overcoming the XXI century challenges of reforming medical education. In 1997 University has already developed a strategy of outcome-oriented teaching methodology implementation. The strategy has been developed on the bases of European experts recommendations. After all, University is a member of the Association of Medical European Education (AMEE), also a member of the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) and cofounder of the East–European Association of Medical Education (EEAME). University is not only the executor of legislative and recommendatory regulations of these International Organizations, but also participated in the recommendations systematization process.
According to above mentioned experts modern, competitive International Medical education considers the following main points: Critical thinking, Information management and comunicative skills. These are the basis for development of basic sciences and public health, professional values and relations.
By 2006, the necessity of implementation already existing Law on Higher Education of Georgia on the one hand, and the need of implementation full coverage of European and global advantages of medical education together with international commitments to reform the system of medical education on the other hand, have put the medical community to face the objective challenges.
The health care system with the old regulatory and financial mechanisms was poorly manageable. Accordingly, the traditional forms of training of qualified medical professionals required innovative changes. A three-stage system of higher education (baccalaureate, magistracy and doctorate) called for coordination with the process of post-graduate education. All this would make it possible to implement harmoniously the “life-long learning principles”, although it’s clear that the creation of such a continuum requires appropriate material and human resources
All the aforesaid have caused a very significant step in Georgia’s system of higher medical education – in 2006 Tbilisi State Medical Academy was integrated into Tbilisi State Medical University. The merging of these traditional medical schools in TSMU as one Medical Institution united also undergraduate and postgraduate medical education facilitated multilateral development of traditional medical and entire natural sciences.
The first national university in the Caucasus was opened in Georgia in 1918, called Tfilisis Universiteti, laying the foundation for a European-type institution based on Georgian educational traditions.
The idea for the university first emerged in the early 19th century as the struggle for liberation from the Russian empire intensified. A new generation was, led by the great Georgian public figure Ilia Chavchavadze, who initiated a new stage of spiritual revival in the history of our country beginning in the 1860s. Real possibilities for establishing an institution of higher learning appeared when the Nobiliary Manorial Estate Bank was founded in Tbilisi. It was the only bank in the Russian empire, that contributed to promote the cultural, educational and economic interests of the nation.
From the beginning of the 20th century a Georgian Privat Docent at the University of Saint Petersburg, Ivane Javakhishvili, who had undertaken his studies in Saint Petersburg, began to organize the foundation of the Georgian University. From the very first days of the February 1917 Revolution, Javakhishvili, who was still in Saint Petersburg, began his activities to open an institution in Tbilisi. The first gathering of the founders of the University Society was held in the apartment of Petre Melikishvili in Tbilisi, on May 12 that year, chaired by Ekvtime Takaishvili, when they established the Georgian Free University Society. This Society would later play a key role in the foundation of the first University.
In the autumn of 1917 the founders of the University intensified their efforts and first established one faculty, the Faculty of Philosophy, which would include humanities as well as natural sciences and mathematics. In late December, the Georgian press published an article about the enrollment of the first students at the Georgian University.
Thus, the first university in the Caucasus opened its doors on January 26, 1918, the day of the commemoration of King David the Builder (later this commemoration was established on February 8). Nominated by Ivane Javakhishvili, Petre Melikishvili was elected by the Council of Professors as first Rector of the University. Ivane Javakhishvili took charge of the Faculty of Philosophy.
The following persons became Lecturers at the newly established university: Ivane Javakhishvili, Iustine Abuladze, Giorgi Akhvlediani, Philipe Gogichaishvili, Ekvtime Takaishvili, Korneli Kekelidze, Shalva Nutsubidze, Elisabed Bagrationi-Orbeliani, Dimitri Uznadze, Vanda Gambashidze, Ilia Kipshidze, Ioseb Kipshidze, Akaki Shanidze, Andria Benashvili, Andria Razmadze, Ivane Beritashvili, and Grigol Tsereteli.
In 1989 Tbilisi State University was renamed after its founder, Ivane Javakhishvili.
Today Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University is one of the first and most respected scientific-research institutions of Georgia and carries out about 200 local and international scientific grant programs annually.
Tbilisi State University, or TSU, is one of the largest higher educational institutions, with approximately 22,000 students studying in seven faculties. Along with Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral programs, the university implements higher vocational education courses, as well as short- and long-term certification programs. Working in close cooperation with foreign universities, Georgian students can participate in exchanges and joint international educational programs to earn double academic degrees.
Tbilisi State University is an active member of leading international education networks and is proud of its alumni, many of whom are now prominent professors, scientists and graduates, working in partnership with the European community, sometimes with worldwide recognition.
TSU offers a wide variety of degree programs at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels, and short-term courses in English that attract students from all over the world. The internationalization of TSU is fast-paced and aims at creating a multicultural environment that will enhance teaching and research opportunities. TSU promotes equality of access to education, and believes in engaging and valuing all students and staff.
Ilia State University was founded in 2006 as a result of a merger of six different academic institutions with long and varied histories. Currently, it is one of the leading research and educational institutions in Georgia. Representing a union of students and professors, ISU is a multifunctional educational and research institution offering a common space for academic and professional education and research with the joint efforts of its students, professors, teachers and researchers.
The union is based on the three following principles:
These principles are closely interrelated and interdependent: Students, teachers, professors and researchers are free to choose areas of study and research, as well as colleagues and supervisors to work with. No one has the right to forbid them from conducting studies on a certain topic or publishing research findings for political or moral reasons. Students and professors are free to choose any form of transparent and responsible self-governance they believe is best for the advancement of their union– the university–and its goals and objectives.
The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started eight decades ago and now, it is a higher educational institution in Georgia distinguished with its excellent traditions, which have found a decent place in the cultural-intellectual and moral upbringing of generations. The University has gained universal recognition as a result of staff training, high quality scientific potential and wide- ranging links with scientific institutes of advanced countries.
Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University, in fact, was founded in the entrails of Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University. In July 1930, the authorities abolished Tbilisi State University and created four independent higher education institutions at its base. One of them was the State Pedagogical Institute, which, from then on, until 1933, was functioning in Tbilisi. In 1933, the institute continued functioning in Kutaisi from February 13 of the same year. In 1933-1990 the institution was in the position of Alexander Tsulukidze State Pedagogical Institute.
In 1990, the higher education institution was transformed into Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University, which was a logical culmination of the great work that the institute successfully had for almost six decades of its existence.
According to the Decree #39 of the Government of Georgia of February 23, 2006, reorganization was carried out of the legal entities of public law – Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University and Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili State Technical University through their unification. The educational institution was named as a university and was called Akaki Tsereteli State University.
Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was granted the official status on 23 September, 1973 and was ceremonially opened on September 1, 1974. In 1977, the institution was named after the academician Niko Muskhelishvili. On September 21, 1992 Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was granted university status and was called Kutaisi Niko Muskhelishvili State Technical University.
By the resolution #353 of the Government of Georgia of 16 November, 2010, the legal entity of public law -Sokhumi State University of Subtropical Agriculture joined Akaki Tsereteli State University.
In 1952, at the historic, geographical and economic center of western Georgia – Kutaisi, an agricultural institution was opened on the grounds of subtropical agriculture service. In 1959, it was transferred to the typical subtropical zone (Abkhazia, Sokhumi) and was named the Institute of Subtropical Agriculture of Georgia.
In the 90s of the twentieth century, due to events in Abkhazia, the institution became a refugee in Kutaisi. With the guidance of Prof. F. Pruidze, the educational process was restored at the institute thanks to the leadership of the city, Akaki Tsereteli State University and the city facilities.
Grigol Robakidze University (Georgian: გრიგოლ რობაქიძის სახელობის უნივერსიტეტი [grigol robakidzis saxelobis universiteti])university is established in 1992 in Tbilisi, Georgia. It specialises in Medical i.e. Medicine and dentistry, but also has courses in the social sciences, English and German.
The university was renamed in honor of the Georgian poet and thinker, Grigol Robakidze.
The university’s faculties are situated on David Aghmashebeli #13, in the downtown of Tbilisi, Georgia and includes a new building located near US Embassy in the suburb of Tbilisi.
EEU is a private university accredited in Georgia that strives to ensure implementation international educational standards in teaching and research and to build notable educational center oriented on the ideals of democracy and humanism.
In 2012 EEU obtained authorization and programs’ accreditation from the Ministry of education and Science of Georgia.
Currently EEU runs 19 Bachelor, Master’s and Doctoral degree programs in faculties of law and Social Sciences, business and Engineering, Healthcare Sciences. EEU offers excellent educational and research environment guaranteed by modern academic programs, high-qualified professors and best infrastructure. All the facilities important for studying and scientific activities are concentrated in the university.
In very short period of time Our University made an impressive progress in building credible educational center which was trusted by more than 20 000 entrants from 2013-2016 Unified Entry Examinations.
EEU offers English medium BBA and MBA programs and Digital Management Program in collaboration with Fresenius University and gives students unique opportunity to obtain German degree in Digital Management.
The programs are based on the analyses and experience of the Western Universities and requirements of up-to-date labor market are taken into consideration. During the study process all the methods and technologies of the contemporary education are used.
Professional networking, possibility to be employed and additional facilities for development gives EEU programs much more significance. Students can take internships in more than 150 partner companies. EEU partners are state agencies, public and private organizations, biggest hospitals in Georgia, pharmaceutical companies and etc.
EEU is prominent with highly qualified academic staff, world-wide famous Georgian and Overseas professors, motivated practitioners and young qualified specialists, intensive partnership with many European Universities, which allows many American, Austrian, British and French professors to be involved in the implementation all educational programs.
Modern practical knowledge and Successful career – This is the result of studying in the EEU!
Your future success will be guaranteed by EEU:
Other Benefits for the Foreign Students at EEU!
Georgia is a country in the Caucasus region of Eurasia, Located at the crossroads of Eastern Europe and Western Asia. The capital and largest city is Tbilisi. Georgia’s total territory covers 69,700 square kilometers. Population in Georgia is almost 5 million. Official language is Georgian. The native name of Georgia is “Sakartvelo”.
Georgia is a country with a rich culture, history and tourist attractions, including UNESCO Heritage Sites. The first human civilization outside of Africa has been discovered in Georgia (the remains of that settlement are 1, 75 million years old). Georgian alphabet is Unique – one of 14 independent alphabets in the world. Georgia is known as a Cradle of Wine. The country is famous with delicious cuisine and Georgian hospitality. All this makes Georgia an extremely interesting destination for foreign students.
The climate of Georgia is extremely diverse, considering the nation’s small size. An average temperature in summer ranges from 32 °C to 35 °C, and in winter – from 1.5 °C to 3 °C.
Country is unitary semi-presidential republic. Georgian currency is Georgian Lari (GEL).
Single emergency number in Georgia – 112
26 years have passed since Caucasus International University (CIU) – LLC was founded. The University operates as a Legal Entity of Private Law – a limited liability company. The university was founded as a medical institute “Clinitsist” in 1995. The university received a license from the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Georgia in the same year. In 2005 it was granted Accreditation by Accreditation Council of Higher Education Institution. In 2006, the name and founders of the institute “Clinitsist” were changed and it was formed as a multi-profile higher education institution – Caucasus International University – LLC.
Caucasus International University went through the authorization process with great success and has been granted authorization for six years by the joint decision of the Authorization Council of the National Center for Education Quality Enhancement In 2018 (14.11.2018 decision #88). The highest assessment document was issued among the higher educational institutions of Georgia.
Caucasus International University – LLC was granted an institutional accreditation for 5 years on the basis of the decision made by the Accreditation Council of Higher Education Institution in 2007. Afterward, CIU was granted Authorization for 5 years on the basis of the decision made by the Authorization Council of HEI of the National Center for Educational Quality Enhancement in 2012. During the period of the last authorization (from 2012 – till present) up to 30 Undergraduate, One- cycle, Post-graduate and Ph.D. Educational Programs of Caucasus International University LLC were granted accreditation.
By the decision of the Authorization Council of National Centre for Educational Quality Enhancement made on 14 July 2015 Caucasus International University application has been approved and in accordance with the decision of the council the number of university students has been defined by 4700.
“Leader of 2018” – Caucasus International University was nominated at the 48th National Business Leaders Award Ceremony. The event was organized by Georgian National Business Ratings Union and Swiss Rating Association.
On March 4, 2019, by the unanimous decision of the Accreditation Council members of Higher Educational Programmes of National Center for Educational Quality Enhancement, the number of CIU students has increased by 2700 and has been defined in total by 7400.
CIU offers Bachelor, One-step, Master, and Doctoral programs.
Caucasus International University is an educational-scientific institution that supports socio-economic progress and develops values of Georgian and world culture based on modern knowledge.
Caucasus International University creates modern learning and the scientific environment by implementing innovative methods, as well as through intercultural education and diverse university life. The University ensures upbringing a generation with democratic values that will be competitive at the local and international labor markets.
Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University is an important educational, scientific and cultural center of our country. It has a 85-year-long history.
The establishment and development of the educational system in Adjara was a long-time endeavor of the Georgian community. In 1893 the issue was raised to open a Boys’ Gymnasium in Batumi. On 26-27 June, 1893 the Municipality of the city granted 2 623, 95 sq/m area of land for the Boys’ Gymnasium at the seaside. The project was designed by a military engineer Sedelnikov. The first floor of the building allocated a gym while the second floor contained the church, assembly hall, eight classrooms, art classroom, physics study-room, laboratory and a library. The Boys’ Gymnasium started functioning in July, 1897. On 26 September, 1900 it became possible to open a Women’s Gymnasium as well. Later, by 1923, a Pedagogical Institute was founded in the building of former Women’s Gymnasium (present Public School №2) which afterwards turned into a Pedagogical College. It used to prepare the first stage school teachers.
In the building of the Boys’ Gymnasium in 1935 a 2-year Teacher’s Institute was opened with 4 faculties: Georgian Language and Literature, Physics-Mathematics, History and Natural Sciences-Geography. To this the faculty of Physical Education was added in 1936 and a faculty of Russian Language and Literature – in 1938. In 1938 the Institute was named after Shota Rustaveli.
The first director of the Teachers’ Institute was Khusein Nakaidze. A significant assistance was rendered to the Institute in providing the scientific personnel by other higher educational institutions of Georgia, first and foremost – Tbilisi State University. The following outstanding representatives of the Georgian academia conducted fruitful activities within the walls of the Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University (that time Teachers’ Institute): Giorgi Akhvlediani, Giorgi Tsereteli, Iase Tsintsadze, Sargis Kakabadze, Simon Kaukhchishvili, Giorgi Tavzishvili, Razhden Khutsishvili, Dimitri Gedevanishvili, Giorgi Javakhishvili, Vukol Beridze, Shota Dzidziguri and others. It is owing to them as well that the newly established higher institution soon gained the reputation – a system of teaching and research activities was formed and the preparation of local academic staff took its beginnings – by 1943 there were 5 candidates of sciences at the Institute already.
In July 1935 the preparatory courses were created that particularly fostered the attraction of high school applicants from Adjara highlands. According to the statistics 600 school leavers submitted applications to the Institute in the first year; 219 applicants were admitted to the Institute.
In June 1945 a Pedagogical Institute was founded on the basis of Batumi Teachers’ Institute that was followed by reconstruction process and improvement of the facilities and equipment. In 1956 the renovated building entered into exploitation. However, it was not sufficient for the growth of the Institute and in 1977 the construction of a new 5-storeyed building began that was finished in 1982.
The collapse of the Soviet Empire and Georgia’s fight for independence made it possible to realize the wish of great Ivane Javakhishvili who said: “If there is to be another university in Georgia, it should be in Batumi.”
By the Decision №453, 3 September, 1990 of the Cabinet of Ministries of Georgia Batumi State University was established on the basis of Batumi Pedagogical Institute. After this transformation apart from special faculty chairs there began functioning 9 university chairs at the higher education institution. The number of specialties increased – the faculties of law, economics and medicine were created. As a result of the educational reform in the country the university was transferred to a two-cycle teaching: Bachelor and Master Levels were created. Post-graduate studies also were functioning for certain specialties.
In accordance with the Decree №37, 23 February, 2006 of the Georgian Government on the basis of reorganization and unification of the Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University, Batumi Institute of Art, Batumi Zakaria Paliashvili State Conservatory, Batumi Institute of Aviation, Batumi Institute of Agrarian Biotechnologies and Business, Scientific-Research Institute of Membrane Technologies and Batumi Agricultural Institute was founded the “Legal Entity of Public Law – Shota Rustaveli State University”. It represents the accredited higher educational institution in accordance with the Decree №103/a, 27 October, 2006 of the National Accreditation Center.
By the Decree №176, 26 September, 2009 of the Georgian Government the LEPL Batumi Botanical Garden was joined to the University, and by the Decree №185, 9 July, 2010 of the Georgian Government – Niko Berdzenishvili Research Institute and Institute of Phytopathology.
In accordance with the Decision №16 and №17, 17 February, 2011 of the RSU Academic Council a Scientific Center was established which comprised Niko Berdzenishvili Humanities and Social Sciences direction, direction of Membrane Technologies and direction of Phytopathology.
Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University comprises 7 faculties: Economics and business, humanities, exact science and education, law and social sciences, natural sciences and health care, technologies, tourism. It also embraces the 3 Research Institutes of Niko Berdzenishvili Institute, Agrarian and Membrane Technologies Institute, Institute of Phytopathology and Biodiversity. At present about 6 000 students study at the vocational, Bachelor, Master and Doctoral programs.
The facilities and equipment of the Shota Rustaveli State University have been increasing and improving step-by-step, number of students increasing, teaching programs improving, new specialties introduced, qualified staff prepared. The teaching and research processes involve 273 professors, 71 researchers and 387 visiting professors.
The University has been authorized since 2011 in accordance with №117, dated August 04 2011 and №56, dated August 27 2018 Decisions of the Authorization Council of the National Centre for Educational Quality Enhancement. Currently the University implements the following Accredited Educational programmes: 11 authorized vocational, 33 BA, 27 MA, 11 PhD, 3 single-cycle, 1 integrated BA-MA, 1 Teacher Preparatory Educational Programmes and 1 Educational Programme of Preparatory Course in Georgian Language. The University maintains traditional, fundamental fields as well as establishes and develops new directions in compliance with the modern requirements. Moreover, the University intensively applies contemporary, including electronic, teaching/learning methods.
The academic potential, traditions and the geographical location of Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University determine the priorities of its scientific-research activities. The academic and scientific personnel of the University are successfully engaged into the directions of Natural Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences, Law, Mathematical and Computer Sciences, Engineering, Technologies, Business and Public health as well as agricultural fields.
Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University is a multi-functional educational and scientific institution where a unified space of academic and professional education and research is created with the cooperation of students, professors, teachers and researchers. A number of scientific-research projects of international and national significance have been accomplished on the university base.
The university has close partnership relations with the leading higher educational institutions within and outside the country. BSU is considered a desirable host for the international scientific conferences and symposia held in various fields of science. Apart from this, the academic and scientific faculty of the university actively participates in scientific conferences and exchange programs in different countries of the world.
The project “Batumi – A University City” – gained its topicality and has offered Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University more prospects of development.